Cape Mabou Pasture Co-operative Limited
The Cape Mabou Community Pasture Herdsperson is employed in a seasonal, full time position from May to October and reports to the Cape Mabou Pasture Co-operative Limited Board of Directors. Responsibilities include the management of approximately 400 head of cattle and the operational activities related to the farm.
• Getting the community pasture facility operational for the summer season and closing it up in the fall;
• Attention to detail;
• Turn out, rotation and round up of cattle;
• Daily care and management of the cattle under their supervision;
• Daily rounds of all pastures;
• Collection and documentation of cattle data (i.e., Farm identification tag numbers, weights, CFIA tag numbers and health records);
• Maintenance and repair of electric fences;
• All aspects of maintenance and improvement of the facility and is responsible for other operational activities related to the farm;
• Communicates with board of directors, pasture patrons, volunteers, etc.;
• May at times supervise part time, temporary and seasonal employees or volunteers.
· A high school diploma as well as significant practical experience of 2- 5 years in working with cattle.
• Solid knowledge of cattle handling, herd health and herd management skills;
• Good knowledge of rotational grazing and monitoring pastures;
• Must be able to maintain electric fence lines and carry out general farm duties;
• Must be able to operate and maintain farm machinery and equipment;
• Maintains a daily log, work records, cattle health and pasture rotation logs.
Equipment and Machinery Experience:
• Tractor and machinery operation and maintenance
• Power saw skills
• Valid driver’s licence and a tractor licence
• A current First Aid Certificate, WHMIS and Occupational Health and Safety courses would be considered an asset.
• Must wear safety rated footwear and adhere to safety regulations
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
• Physically demanding and work under pressure;
• Some overtime and large workload at times;
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays in rotation with other employees as is typically required with cattle operations;
• Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds regularly and up to 100 pounds occasionally;
• Be prepared to work outdoors in widely varying weather and temperature conditions.
Please submit a resume and references to email@example.com