Triple-H Farms plans to operate a large beef finishing feedlot in Margate, (near Kensington) Prince Edward Island. We require a Feedlot Manager to organize the ramping up and management of the operation. The Feedlot Manager oversees daily operations. They provide knowledge and support for herd nutrition, maintenance, animal welfare, and environmental conditions for the operation.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure profitability of the operation by optimizing animal health and feeding parameters.
- Manage feedlot to appropriate safety standards.
- Follow protocols to ensure good animal welfare practices to raise Healthy, Happy and Humane beef and to be part of industry best practice programs such as VBP+ (Verified Beef Production +).
- Prepare short and long-term operational plans supportive to the feedlot in conjunction with the President.
- Prepare budget and report operational and capital expenditures.
- Report of weekly and monthly feedlot performance.
- Repair and maintain equipment and structures as per agreed standard and programs.
- Observe and identify animal health issues, diagnose and treat appropriately.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are adhered to and that the working environment is clean, tidy and hygienic for all employees.
- Manage efficient expenditure of allocated funds.
- Ensure security of all assets including land, livestock and inventories.
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in animal handling and care.
- Working knowledge of herd nutrition is an asset.
- Proficient in record keeping and computer software such as Microsoft, Excel and Word.
- Associates degree in Animal Science or Agricultural Business is an asset.
- High School Diploma.